Our Big Texas Life

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Can I Help?

"How can I help?"  How often do we hear that phrase?  It was something that was drilled into me when I was young.  Mom rarely turned down an offer to help do dishes or house work, and just in case my husband is reading- I won't turn down the offer either.  But today I was thinking about how often I want to help someone if there doesn't seem to be any benefit for myself.  Sure, I sometimes do things to give myself a pat on the back, but how often do I help someone because I simply want to?  I'm very selfish with my time.  When Jordan is home I want his full attention, and we hold Wednesday nights sacred.  When I'm alone on weekday evenings I like for cook to myself and watch TV to relax.  When the weekend rolls around I get together with my friends all day long to watch football and hang out.  But when do I actually serve anyone?  Isn't that my calling as a Christ follower?

I'm selfish and stuck in my own self righteousness. That's really the only answer. I'm too concerned about myself and the amount of sleep I'd have to give up if I volunteered for something on a weeknight.  I'm making the decision right now to change this pattern of behavior.  Now, I'm not going to be one of those people standing on a corner downtown with a megaphone screaming about God at you.  But I will make a better effort to be very purposeful with my time and to find ways to love on the people I run into every day.  Because, the truth of the matter is, that if I had God's heart for humanity I would be thrilled by the opportunity to serve.  It all comes down to loving people like God does, not with a reward in mind, but because it makes my heart sing.  Now, this particular blog is not meant to be depressing or to bring myself down.  It is just an examination of how me-centric I have become.  It is time to break that cycle.   It is time to start serving.  Starting with you.  How can I pray for you today?

A long time ago I read Isaiah 61:1 for the first time and felt it tug on my heart.  I was so moved by it that I realized that I was called to action.  In my head, when someone looked up that passage my picture was going to be beside it because I was going to live those words to the fullest.  My prayer today is that I can start living my life like I desired to years ago.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me,
      for the Lord has anointed me
      to bring good news to the poor.
   He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted
      and to proclaim that captives will be released
      and prisoners will be freed.
-Isaiah 61:1

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! Keep it up! And I LOOOOOVE the first song!!!! Great play list! Blessings! <3

    ReplyDelete