Our Big Texas Life

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

And Now the Award for "Miss Competitive" Goes to...

When I was little my sister was in a pageant.  I saw all the pretty dresses and watched the girls dance on stage and just knew that I would do the same.  I watched my sister at the end of the week stand up on stage and receive award after award and dreamed about which awards I would win. 

I never ended up doing a pageant but I'm pretty sure if I had, I would have won "Miss Competitive".  I would have been unplugging girls' curling irons when they weren't looking, throwing away their make up, and breaking the heals off of their shoes.  Okay, maybe I wouldn't take it THAT far..but I like to win.

The past 2 mornings I've done fitness boxing at my gym.  Its taught by some super hard core professional boxer, and he apparently thinks I want to be in fighting shape.  We start with cardio and punching bags and then move on to more torturous things.  10 minutes of nonstop abs followed by 5 minutes of tire flipping (only instead of a tire I flip a 130 pound dummy I named Kevin).  After that we'll lift and hold punching bags over our heads and then lower them "while controlling yourself".  Yeah right.  A 100 pound bag is falling on my head, I'll move however fast is necessary to avoid a concussion.

At the end of today's workout the teacher told me, "Your effort is awesome.  Stick with me for a month and I'll have you doing pull ups like their nothin."  Whoever said I want to be able to do pull ups?!  Even as I write I feel pain in my legs, back, shoulders, forearms, and wrists.

But, despite my body's objections I LOVE these workouts!  I love walking away and feeling like I accomplished a whole list of things I never thought I could do.  Yesterday the instructor kept giving me "special girl instructions" and I was determined to show him that I could work just as hard as the guys.  This morning he didn't try to tell me to do anything differently than the men.  TAKE THAT!  Don't try to tell me I can't do something, I'll prove you wrong (even if it kills me, literally). 

So here's a shout out to a Dad that wouldn't let me quit, a mom who gave me my sassy streak, a sister to look up to, and a brother who taught me to not only to throw a punch - but how to defend myself from one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment