Our Big Texas Life

Thursday, September 16, 2010

After 1 Year of Marriage...

I have learned more than I could have possibly imagined in just over 365 days.  Who needs school?  Doing life together will teach you more usefull things than your Math 105 class (and for the record, I took Math 105 and learned absolutely NOTHING!). So I decided I would start this blog off with a list of 10 important things I've learned about thriving in my marriage so far. 

1.  Find things you can do together.  I can watch the Cowboys lose over and over again as long as Jordan helps me clean up after the crazy football parties we throw every Sunday.
2. A flying elbow in the middle of the night is nothing personal.  Sometimes people struggle to adjust to someone else in their bed.
3. If you want permission to go buy a fabulous new cocktail dress, ask in the middle of a KU basketball game.
4. The sentence, "My mom/dad always did that for me." never leads to a productive or healthy conversation.
5. Take time to turn off your phone and just hang out.  I know that sounds silly, but it can be the sweetest hour you spend together all week.
6. Having a mutual distaste for Missouri can bring you closer together.
7. Watching TV together might be fun, but should never be considered quality time.
8. Trust each other's instincts.  Know each of your strengths and play towards them.
9. However, if one of your strengths is that you're competitive and your spouse is also competitive, don't play sports or boardgames together on a regular basis.
10. If all your spouse wants to eat is red meat, let him.  Just have some good life insurance for when he has a heart attack at 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment